November 6, 2009

A ride

The morning fog has just disappeared and I listen to a bird complaining about our presence, the breath of my horse spreads out of its nostrils and clouds for a short moment. I smell the moist leaves laying on the ground already, but there are still some left on the trees and I admire the landscape with its extensive fall colors.

Slowly we move forward, I feel how my horse relaxes beneath me, my thighs ease lightly and I loose the reins. "Fly..", I whisper her name and watch my little chestnut mare turns one ear back to me. I smile, I always enjoy being together with her.

A light rain soaks my riding pants, but Fly is eagerly moving forward on the slick mud watching the environment observantly, I admire how sure-footed this horse is. The slick sound goes in a steady rhythm and I inhale the moist November air deeply. Alternately Flys ears turn to all directions and her muscles flexes as she notices something rustle in the underwoods. I force her to move faster, to face the demon and shake my head amused. After 15 years together with me "on the road" she should know there is nothing to fear.

We reach a long sandy path and I press my thighs tighter around her flanks, she is almost nodding and breaks into an extended gallop. The rain whips my face and reddens my cheekflesh, I rise lightly in the saddle to comfort my horses back and close my eyes for a moment. Adrenaline pumps into my veins and I listen to the excited snorts of my horse. This is the moment where human and horse are closest together, a complete matching pair in absolute harmony.

Rain mixes with tears on my face and I edge Fly on, the strong horse body lowers closer to the ground and its legs reach out more extensive. I cry. I cry loudly. I scream and shout into the wind and rain as we gallop faster and faster through the forest. I regret, I believe, I love, I feel angry, I treasure, I just feel. Feel all the emotions I use to stifle or hide.

When we are back at the horse stable we both feel exhausted but enriched. The tight bond between us will never disappear, no matter what happens. Touching her warm fur I cry again.

No comments:

Post a Comment